Today’s edition of Seitan Calls comes to you from the colour purple. This veggie cooking lark is a doddle! Even when I’m not really trying I manage to make nice stuff, it’s a bit like when I started playing the uke and I could write half-decent tunes as I wasn’t used to the key.This looks pretty horrible on the plate but was super tasty (honest). Just boiled Puy lentils in veg buillion and mixed up chopped red onion and aubergine with some garam masala, lime pickle and a bit of oil then roasted in the oven for 20 min. Doddle!
I’m not half piling the weight on since this veggie venture. I’m hungry all the time! Been eating lots of bread and crisps and thought it would be ok as I’m not having animal fats anymore. Turns out it’s not 😦
This creation from the other night didn’t help, but it was tasty! Ravioli with toasted walnuts, broad beans and anchovies – mega yum. Now to find ways to combine yum without getting a huge bum…
Life is like a box of chocolates. Mostly ok but full of guilt and there are loads of orange-flavoured things that nobody likes (apart from your mum, but we all know she only pretends to like them as she craves the attention STOP IT MUM WE CAN ALL SEE WHAT YOU’RE DOING).
Anyway, I’ve delivered on my promise from yesterday and done some actual cooking. Not only that, but I made up a recipe! Kind of.
I was planning to make a veg omelette for lunch but then – shock horror – there were no eggs left! This was a total bummer as stupid random food I had wouldn’t really work in anything else… Or so I thought. I had a rare occasion to thank “past me” when I found a packet of bulgar wheat pulse stuff in the cupboard and here’s what I turned it into…
- 1 packet of M&S bulgur wheat, spelt and haricot beans
- Broccoli, chopped up into spears
- 1 leek, sliced
- Half a packet of raw spinach
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 shakes fish sauce
- 1 tbsp oil
- Turn the heat up high and fry the leeks till they go a bit black. This is dead tasty but if you don’t fancy it you can just fry them normally if you like. Add the broccoli a bit later and fry that for about 4 min until it’s not crunchy anymore but not burnt either (burnt broccoli sucks).
- Cook the bulgar in the microwave while you line a bowl with the spinach. Then when you pour the bulgar wheat over the spinach it wilts a bit and tastes awesome.
- Pour the sesame oil and fish sauce over the veg in the pan and give it a good mix around. You could add chilli or garlic or something here if you could be arsed
- Mix the veg with the ingredients in the bowl, shake over your soy sauce and that’s you done!
I’ve never written a recipe out before, that was weird. Let me know if anyone cooks it how you get on! I thought it was pretty damn tasty but I was starving so might not be the best judge.